The first concrete chair, curing away.
I filled the gap with the rubber that’s to become the blank. The rubber I used is what is typically used in waterproofing parkades, so it’s very strong. I added some closed cell backer rod to add some volume and prevent the rubber from sagging too much.
Foam was added around the edge of the fibreglass, creating a cavity for the blank. The foam was some left over packing foam from some new doors we had installed. There was no way I was going to let them throw it out!
Wondering why there hasn’t been much in the way of updates lately? I’ve been working away making a second Gull Wing Table for a client…by hand. The original was milled with a CNC router, but this one is being done by jigsaw and belt sander. The leather project and concrete work will have to wait another week.
All full of concrete. This is a deception though: even though I’m posting this before photos of the table out of the mold, it’s actually my second pour.
You have to be careful not to make too wet of a epoxy mix, or you’ll end up cursing and pulling it all out by hand so you can add more aggregate. I noticed that the pva was becoming a bit slippery though (meaning it was being dissolved), which concerned me that the epoxy was bonding with the mould. We shall see tonight!